Recycling melodic material is a concept that you can apply to many different situations. Here we will see how to change a melodic line and how to adapt this line (with some harmonic knowledge) to other chords.
1) This is our original melodic line, a D minor ‘jazzy’ kind of phrase.
2) The first thing I could do is to lower all the A to Ab so to use the same phrase on Half diminished chords (natural nine adds a really nice color to the phrase)
3) Let’s now change the m3 (F) to M3 (F#), and the m7(C) to Maj7(C#)
4) Let’s try anther one: m3(F) to M3(F#), m7(C) to Maj7(C#), P5 (A)to #5(A#) goes to morph the phrase so that if fits a Dmaj7(#5) chord. Very Modern indeed.
5) Let’s see if you can spot these other examples: Altered dominant & Dim H/W
Hi There! If you liked these lessons: Download all the products In This Page in exchange for a donation to support the site (minimum $10): my 4 eBooks+Mp3 examples, and 84 blues backing tracks (divided in 7 sets). A total value of $149 at full price on other sites!
Use the drop down menu if you want to donate more, it's appreciated! All products on this page are digital goods you can download instantly after a successful Paypal checkout.