A while ago I stumbled online on a few good articles on practice tips: a few of these included these12 rules by master jazz trumpet player Winton Marsalis. I want to share them with you as I think they are a great way of approaching practice and playing in general. Enjoy.
THE WYNTON MARSALIS 12 RULES OF EFFECTIVE PRACTICE:
1. Seek out the best private instruction you can afford.
2. Write/work out a regular practice schedule.
3. Set realistic goals.
4. Concentrate when practicing
5. Relax and practice slowly
6. Practice what you can’t play. – (The hard parts.)
7. Always play with maximum expression.
8. Don’t be too hard on yourself.
9. Don’t show off.
10. Think for yourself. – (Don’t rely on methods.)
11. Be optimistic. – “Music washes away the dust of everyday life.”
12. Look for connections between your music and other things.
Hi There! If you liked these lessons: Download all the products In This Page in exchange for a donation to support the site (minimum $10): my 4 eBooks+Mp3 examples, and 84 blues backing tracks (divided in 7 sets). A total value of $149 at full price on other sites!
Use the drop down menu if you want to donate more, it's appreciated! All products on this page are digital goods you can download instantly after a successful Paypal checkout.